Who I am
I'm currently a Frontend Engineer at Deno. Before that, I was a senior frontend developer at Shopify. . In my spare time, I love hobby coding; I'm the maker and designer of the word games Quina (iOS/Android/web) and Hondo (iOS/Android/web).
As a writer, I authored the CSS Tricks series A Complete Beginner's Guide to NPM, and I enjoy blogging about dev, design and tech (both freelance and here on this site). Occasionally, I get asked to talk about what I write on podcasts.
Before entering tech, I spent a few years as a graphic designer (that's what my degree is in). Prior to that, I was a bartender and server, and regularly gigged as a musician, though that's all been many years ago now.
I moved to the Kansas City area fairly recently, but was in Omaha for many years before that.
Personally, I am a: hobby coder; font hoarder; husband since 2012; dad since 2019 (though notorious for dad jokes since long before); accessibility advocate; cold brew consumer; DEI accomplice; Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter abandoner; Mastodon appreciator; semi-notorious React critic; occasional public speaker and podcast guest; pun enthusiast; curious learner; dog person; lifelong Nintendo fan; musician/guitarist/hack pianist; he/him/his; liberal abuser of semicolons.
Talks and appearances
Conference presentations, trainings, and podcasts
- Why React is Outdated w/ Josh Collinsworth
Web Perspectives podcast
- Debating React, Fonts, and Fatherhood with Josh Collinsworth
Whiskey, Web and Whatnot podcast
- JS Party 244: The spicy React debate show 🌶️🌶️
JS Party podcast
- Views on Svelte With Josh Collinsworth
Views on Vue podcast
- Intro to Accessibility
aware3 internal training
- How Not to Make a Crappy-Looking Site: a Crash Course on (Web) Design
WordCamp Omaha 2019
- What is Managed WordPress Hosting?
- CSS Variables (lightning talk)
BarCamp Omaha 2018
- Getting the Most Out of Local by Flywheel
WordCamp Omaha 2018
- A RESTed Development: Understanding the WP REST API Once and For All
WordCamp Omaha 2017
- WordPress Developer Course
AIM Code School course curriculum, 2015–2019
- Easy WordPress Security for Everyone
WordCamp Omaha 2016
- Be Classless – Optimizing Your CSS for WordPress
WordCamp Omaha 2015
Articles written for other publications
- Create better CSS forms with these design principles
- A Complete Beginner's guide to NPM
- Building a PWA with Vue.js
- Using SVG and Vue.js: A complete guide
- What I Learned Building a Word Game App With Nuxt on Google Play
- Leveling up Flywheel's retreat website: A developer's tale
- Understanding WordPress Shortcodes